The Holiday Season is associated with family get-togethers, great family meals, and beautiful home decorations including lights, candles, and Christmas trees.
According to the National Fire Protection Association, Christmas trees (both real and artificial) are the first items ignited in an estimated 300 reported home structure fires per year.
The U.S. Fire Administration offers the following fire safety tips for homeowners:
- When decorating, be sure to use only lights rated for indoor use.
- Replace any lights that have worn, frayed, or broken cords.
- Always unplug Christmas tree lights before leaving the home or going to bed.
- Keep live trees moist by watering daily. Do not purchase a tree that is dry.
- Make sure the tree is at least three feet away from any heat source.
- Safely dispose of the tree when it begins dropping needles – dried out trees are highly flammable.
- Make sure artificial trees are fire retardant.
- Place the tree near an outlet to avoid running long extension cords.
- Do not burn a Christmas tree in a fireplace. They are practically explosive.
In the event a fire should occur, it is important for property owners to know what to do, what not to do, and who to contact once it is extinguished. PuroClean, The Paramedics of Property DamageTM, is a professional mitigation company specializing in property remediation after a home or commercial structure is damaged by fire and smoke. Fire, along with the resulting smoke and soot, can rapidly harm household items – even after the fire has been extinguished. It is imperative to seek help immediately from a professional restoration company such as PuroClean to prevent further damage.
Regardless of the circumstances – dealing with fire damage, smoke damage, water damage, or mold remediation – call PuroClean, The Paramedics of Property DamageTM. For all property damage situations, we are standing by. We will mitigate the loss to prevent further damage and will then provide restoration services to return the property to a pre-loss condition as quickly as possible. As The Paramedics of Property DamageTM, we have well-trained professional technicians who provide the latest state-of-the-science services to all property damaged from water, fire, smoke, mold, and other disasters.